Castle Cary Museum is located in the historic Market House, a distinctive mid-Victorian building in the centre of town made of local Cary stone. The focus of market trade and other activities since its construction in 1855 when it replaced a much earlier building.
The town obtained a Market Charter from Edward IV in 1468. The main industries were agriculture, thatching, rake-making and leather and parchment work. The wool trade was also dominant.
Horsehair weaving became big business in Cary in the 19th Century and today
John Boyd textiles
at the Higher Flax Mills is still in production.
It is the only remaining horse hair weaver in the whole of Britain and one of only two remaining in the world, the other factory is in France.